The Edge series from the UK’s leading hi-fi brand Cambridge Audio represents the culmination of 50 years of audio engineering expertise and sets a new standard for design and performance.
The new series builds on Cambridge Audio’s driving principles of creating products that bring the “Great British Sound” – a pure, unfiltered audio experience – into the home, offering the company’s most accomplished system to date.
- Every component has been selected for its sonic merit through blind auditions – not price, specification or measurement.
- Cambridge Audio pushed engineering boundaries to keep the signal path short across the series. Only 14 components feature in the signal path of the Edge W power amplifier with capacitors removed altogether.
- Edge is a completely new design that has taken over three years for the dedicated, in-house engineering team to complete.
Innovative engineering explained
- Unique Class XA amplification technology shifts the crossover point out of audible range offering the sound quality of Class A but with more efficient performance.
- An opposing symmetry twin toroidal transformer design cancels out stray electromagnetic interference.
- Cambridge’s proprietary streaming platform, StreamMagic, has been updated to offer improved compatibility, meaning customers will be able to stream audio from a host of sources, including AirPlay, Spotify Connect, and Chromecast built-in, which allows streaming from a wealth of apps including TIDAL. Additionally, Edge supports Bluetooth aptX HD, the latest iteration of the format which supports 24 bit audio.
The new series is named after Professor Gordon Edge, one of Cambridge Audio’s founders. He was an entrepreneurial force of the Cambridge technology cluster and inventor of the company’s first product, the P40 integrated amplifier.
The Edge series will be available in June and will consist of three units: Edge A, the integrated amplifier; Edge NQ, the preamplifier and network player; and Edge W, the power amplifier. Edge will be available in select authorized retailers in the US .
“Edge has been a project of passion for Cambridge Audio. With our 50th anniversary approaching, we saw an opportunity to push the boundaries of our abilities to create something truly unique, something truly inspirational. We removed all limitations during development of Edge – anything goes so long as it’s in pursuit of the best system we’ve ever made. The results speak for themselves. Edge is sublime.” Stuart George, managing director, Cambridge Audio.
The Edge series revealed
Edge A, our integrated amplifier, offers incredibly detailed sound with the effortless power to match. Its sound is wonderfully balanced with clarity audible with every note. Listening to Edge A feels like the band is playing right in front of you.
ERP: $ 5,000
Edge NQ offers new levels of versatility for a pre-amplifier and network player. StreamMagic, the streaming module that powers NQ, has been improved, allowing Edge to play music from virtually any source. Also, Edge NQ’s printed circuit board and meticulous engineering reduces interference to ensure a clean sound.
ERP: $ 4,000
Edge W is the best power amplifier Cambridge Audio has ever made. With just 14 components in the signal path (where other similar products may have 30 – 40), Edge W delivers breath – taking, pure, unfiltered British sound with incredible power: nothing added, nothing taken away.
High res images – click on the images below for download